To donate, send checks to our Soho location or just click below. Recess is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Read a letter from our Executive Director & Founder about the role of our philanthropic community:
Thanks to your continued support over the last year! We’ve grown the number of artists we support, perfected our Critical Writing program, built an artists’ Resource Room, and brought our programming outside of the USA. Looking back, one thing is clear: Recess is a lasting, dynamic fixture in the contemporary art world.
In 2012/2013 Recess:
- Welcomed artists and audiences to our main storefront in Soho, Manhattan as well as a brand new, beautiful project room in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
- Renovated our Soho space to increase accessibility for artists and audiences who are wheelchair users.
- Invited 4,000 visitors free of charge, to join what Recess artist Kenya Robinson calls, “an ongoing conversation that leads back and forth and around again to clarify challenging ideas.”
- Through our signature program, Session, gave 20 artists and collectives our unique open-studio platform to create new work, making what Hyperallergic deemed, “significant waves in the city’s art scene as a place where artists are free to explore process in every which way.”
- Held over 20 free performance series, classes and events, including collaborations with the Whitney Museum’s Education Department, The Museum of Modern Art’s Poprally series, and STORE Contemporary in Dresden, Germany.
Our achievements are the direct result of unyielding support from our community. Before the close of 2013, please consider supporting Recess. Your help will allow us to move forward with our ambitious agenda to realize projects that, according to Recess artist Scott Keightley, ”could never happen anywhere else.”
Your support at every level is crucial to our success!
$25: Fund a year’s worth of image and video hosting online
$150: Produce the post cards advertising our next event
$500: Support an artist with an honorarium
$1,000: Keep us warm this winter
$10,000: Fund an entire two-month long Session (space, materials, support)
$25,000: Provide the materials for a year’s worth of artists’ projects
$_______: We’re grateful for any amount that fits your budget
Tell us how you’d like us to use your donation (optional):
• Our signature program, Session •
• Public performances & events • Where it is needed
We appreciate your continued support! Please send checks made out to Recess Activities, Inc. to Recess 41 Grand Street Ground Floor New York NY 10013. Or donate securely above.
On behalf of the artists, board and staff at Recess, thank you.
Allison Freedman Weisberg
Founder & Executive Director