Director of Engagement
About the position:
Recess seeks an experienced, dedicated individual to partner with the Executive Director to lead, plan and manage its education initiatives, community partnerships, and public engagement. The Director of Engagement will serve as a key member of the Recess team, contributing to overall institution growth with a specific focus on Assembly, the artist-led diversion program for court involved youth and grow a near partnership with NYCHA. The Director of Engagement will oversee all education and related programs as well as pursue new opportunities and partnerships. The Director of Engagement will manage all educators, related artists, and our growing cohort of Assembly Peer Leaders and Artist Apprentices.
Recess is a nonprofit art space formed in 2009 to support artists who boldly reimagine an inclusive public for art. By envisioning our public as participants, we challenge common distinctions between process and product and maker and consumer. For more information visit recessart.org.
The Director of Engagement’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop, refine, and implement long-term Assembly planning
- Directly manage and oversee weekly Assembly diversion workshops, participant drop-in hours, and peer leadership program
- Develop, refine, and assess Assembly curriculum and learning resources
- Build ongoing partnerships for Assembly and related educational programs
- Maintain Assembly budgets, write reports, and track key performance indicators
- Responsible for the growth, management, and assessment of Recess educational programs and public engagement strategies to better serve Recess publicsEXTERNAL PARTNERSHIPS
- Represent Recess offsite in networking and working groups
- Research and cultivate external partnerships to expand educational programming
- Build emerging partnership with NYCHA
- Manage existing partnership with Center for Court Innovation (CCI and BJI)FUNDRAISING & COMMUNICATION
- Support the Executive Director and Manager of Development and Communications with fundraising and prospect cultivation at the individual, government, foundation and corporate levels
- Assist with content development for grants
- B.A. or B.S.; MA in related field a plus;
- Passion for arts education and innovative development;
- Demonstrated ability to work well with artists, youth, arts groups, and key stakeholders (e.g. Board members, donors, community leaders, etc.);
- At least 3 years arts administration and/or non-profit experience; familiarity with New York City arts and education communities a plus;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Flexibility and strong ability to work independently;
- Financial management experience a plus;
- Grant writing and development experience a plus;
- Computer and online literacy and strong working skills in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite;
- Flexible schedule (Full time, Tuesday through Saturday and occasional evenings and/or weekends as related to events and programs);
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Includes health benefits, 401K plan.
Position start date: Early 2018
Schedule: Tuesday-Saturday 10-6 & Thursday 12-8; occasional events and programs outside regular hours
Application Instructions: Submit a cover letter, cv, and three references as a combined pdf by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Director Of Engagement at Recess”
Recess is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.