Please read all application guidelines (below) before submitting any materials for consideration. Recess will only consider complete proposals submitted in the correct format. You must fill out all of the required questions. Please note that you will be prompted to submit references in the questionnaire section. You must include the following items in the “File Upload” section:
- Project Proposal
- Proposed Budget
- Work Samples (total of 10 images, videos, and/or audio samples)
- Image, Video and/or Audio List / Work Descriptions
- Resume or CV
The application requires the following items saved as individual files named with your first initial, last name, and description. Ex: jsmith_proposal, jsmith_budget, etc.
1. Project Proposal
Your proposal should be less than 1,200 words and should not exceed two pages of 12-point, single-spaced type. Please save your proposal as a .pdf file. Your proposal should address your proposed project’s overall concepts, materials, technical requirements, related audiences, and opportunities for public engagement. Successful applications will clearly explain:
- How the proposed Session responds to timely social issues
- What the Session gallery will look like throughout your project (What, physically, will be in the space? How will it evolve during your Session?)
- Your specific interest in the Session program at Recess
- The desired length of your Session (Generally, Sessions are 2 months long. If you require a different length, please explain)
- The proposed means of public or community engagement (If possible, include the specific communities and/or demographics directly affected by the proposed Session)
2. Proposed Budget
An itemized list of possible expenditures. These need not be final numbers. If selected, budget will be discussed and potentially amended with Recess staff.
3. Work Samples
Documentation should show work created within the past two years and/or renderings of proposed project. Renderings are strongly encouraged, but not required. Media files should be titled with your first initial, last name, and number (e.g. jsmith1.jpg, jsmith2.jpg). Video and audio submissions must be Mac compatible. Each clip will be viewed for no longer than 2 minutes. Please submit work samples according to one of the following options:
- 10 .jpeg images (12 images if applying as a group), at 72 DPI resolution minimum, no dimension exceeding 1,000 pixels
- OR––up to 2 video or audio samples sent as links to online work (preferred) or as Quicktime files no larger than 3 MB (each clip will be viewed for no longer than 2 minutes) and up to 8 .jpeg images (10 images if applying as a group)
4. Work Descriptions/Image List/Video List
A numbered list of images, audio, or videos with title, year, size, and medium of work. Include a brief (2-3 sentences) description of work if necessary
5. Resume or CV
CVs should be no longer than 5 pages.
If you have any technical problems or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will not be able to answer inquiries after 4pm EST on April 10, so we encourage you to submit your application early in order to have the opportunity to address technical issues.